Cranbrook B.C. - Restoration work has been completed on the solarium lounge car (the River Rouge) by the Railway Museum here.
Two of the inlaid black walnut panelled rooms have been returned to their original beauty after paint removal and re-varnishing, up to eleven coats of varnish were needed.
The River Rouge was built in 1929 along with 14 other solarium cars for the CPR's premier train of the period,the Trans-Canada Limited. Originally the cars included a parlor, solarium, buffet kitchen, two smoking rooms, and washrooms.
During the Second World War the lounge cars were converted to double bedroom/compartment configuration and renamed Cape cars.
Future plans include restoration by the museum of the cafe and gallery walnut panelled walls. The parlor cars are a place for community groups, such as the newly-formed CPR Pensioners Club, to meet.