A decorated locomotive appears at Anger prior to the official opening of the Weiz-Birkfeld route which took place on 14 Dec 1911 in the presence of the Landeshauptmann (Governor) of the Duchy of Styria, Edmund Count von Attems. Scheduled train service was launched on 15 Dec 1911. For more than 60 years (until 2 Jun 1973), public passenger transport by train between Weiz and Birkfeld remained. The local railway company Weiz-Birkfeld AG commissioned the Imperial Austrian State to operate the service in 1911. Original equipment included steam locomotives of the "U" series built by Krauss/Linz. Later, more powerful machines of the "Kh" type were also employed - Sep 1911 Photographer unknown.